Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010-Reflection

Years ago, my father--a veteran--handed me a photocopy of a letter from a soldier serving in Vietnam. This soldier had ostensibly left behind a farewell to his family, he being somehow mystically confident that he would be killed in battle. The letter was so eloquent and patriotic and the story so "trite" that I, in my teenage cynicism, wrote the whole thing off as a pre-Internet right-wing "meme" of some kind.

Then, just the other day, I was flipping through the book Letters From Vietnam, a collection of letters home from soldiers serving there. There, on page 193, was the exact same letter my dad showed me years ago, word for word. Apparently, the story was true and my cynicism had been unfounded. The letter was written by Pfc. Hiram D. Strickland of Graham, North Carolina. It was found in his belongings after he was killed near Bong Son, Vietnam in 1966. The text of the letter is reproduced below and perfectly sums up, in my opinion, the spirit of Veterans' Day. The notes in brackets are those made by Bill Adler, editor of the book.

Dear Folks,

I'm writing this letter as my last one. You've probably already received word that I'm dead and that the government wishes to express its deepest regret.

Believe me, I didn't want to die, but I know it was my part of the job. I want my country to live for billions and billions of years to come.

I want it to stand as a light to all people oppressed and guide them to the same freedom we know. If we can stand and fight for freedom, then I think we have done the job God set down for us. It's up to every American to fight for the freedom we hold so dear. If we don't, the smells of free air could become dark and damp as in a prison cell.

We won't be able to look at ourselves in a mirror, much less at our sons and daughters, because we know we have failed our God, country, and our future generations.

I can hold my head high because I fought, whether it be in heaven or hell. Besides, the saying goes, "One more GI from Vietnam, St. Peter; I've served my time in hell."

I fought for Sandy, Nell, Gale [his sisters], Mom, and Dad. But when the twins and Sandy's kids get old enough, they'll probably have to fight, too. Tell them to go proudly and without fear of death because it is worth keeping the land free. I remember a story from Mr. Williams' [Thomas Williams, a teacher at Strickland's high school] English classes when I was a freshman that said, "The cowards die a thousand times, the brave die but once.

Don't mourn me, Mother, for I'm happy I died fighting my country's enemies, and I will live forever in people's minds. I've done what I've always dreamed of. Don't mourn me, for I died a soldier of the United States of America. God bless you all and take care.

I'll be seeing you in heaven.

Your loving son and brother,
Butch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...but be decent, huh?